shifter adjustment

The bentley says the distance between the shift finger and the lockout plate
(under the car per Bentley 8-9) should be 15mm.  When mine is as close to
that as I can get it (pretty dang close a mm or so) the stop finger hits the
lockout plate before the shifter can reach over farenough to line up so it
will go "up" into 1st gear.  If I adjust it further away (20-23mm) it can
reach first but now wont stay in R.  Any MK1 w/ AGB (16v trans) conversions
out there experiance this?  Is it a MK1 16V issue? or do I just have a 17 or
24 year old parts down there that are just too sloppy.
Craig? Jasin?  Anyone?
As I recall the 16v parts car shifted fine when I drove it up here from
california last year.  If a bushing tune up is in order I may just replace
most of those parts.  There are 2 custom linkages out there that I know of.
What about the "shift rod bearing" that has the 2 little boots on it.  Can
that be replaced also?  When I move the stop finger side to side, causeing a
rotation in the long shift rod, I can see the rod move up and down in this
bearing about a mm or 2.  Certinly this is NOT what it should be doing
there.  I have good pics for those who what to help a bit deeper.
Thanks as always

Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion "...it's working....It's WORKING...!"
tracing electrical gremlins now...
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"