tranny leak-where is it?

Michael,

This is your best bet. You'll find the problem this way.

(response to your earlier post)

"hmm. i thought that it ground through the housing, leaking into the
bell housing, ruining clutch etc. no? the output seals looked ok when i
checked--the oil is forward of the seals. what "tell-tale green" am i
looking for? you should be able to see green on 1 side, but not the other i
thought. so I'm looking at output seals for sms? is a stock 87 16v tranny
even affected? i thought not...thanks for the help,"

You are really confused here. I hope I didn't do it.

A leaking input shaft seal will leak into the bell housing. That may or may
not soak your clutch.

The tell tale green would be the output flange seals themselves. If they
have fallen out of place you will be able to see green. Basically if you see
no green all is well.

Output flange seals and SMS have nothing to do with one another. If your
suffering SMS then parts would be coming out of the differential housing
with catastrophic results to the housing. I'm not sure if your transmission
is one of the ones that is susceptible to SMS or not. I always do the bolt
kit to any transmission that I have apart regardless. In my way of thinking
it's like changing a clutch and not changing the throw out bearing.

Rick Alexander
http://www.brubakerbox.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/hams/
http://clubs.hemmings.com/vwsrus/