thermostat change - now overheating HELP!

Hey guys,

I just changed my thermostat. I followed all the right procedures, filled
the water back up, and threw in some water wetter for good luck. I started
my car, and it warmed up nice and quick, and kept going right up until the
light started blinking. Right at that point the fan kicked in and cooled it
down to just above half.  When it turned off, it heated right back up again,
the light started blinking, the fan turned on, then it kept going, so I shut
the motor off.  What's the deal?  I didn't drill a hole in the stat or use
any asprin or anything, becuase I'm not confident that's a good procedure.
Do I have an air bubble or something?  Thanks for any help you can offer!

Vince