CIS question (10:1 compression and knock sensor?)

Ben Bell wrote:

> Hi guys, my first time ever e-mailing the group, yay!  Some of  you may
> know me from the vortex as RoccoRacer.  Anyway, I'm having trouble
> getting my car within California legal emissions levels, and I was
> wondering if any of you could tell me why.  I have a '91 Jetta longblock
>
> in my car, and I'm pretty sure it's a 10:1 compression engine.  I
> vaugely remember reading in the 8v forum on the vortex that a knock
> sensor (which I do have on my car) won't work properly on cars with 10:1
>
> compression, can someone verify this for me?  I had an idle problem, and

That is exactly backwards; 10:1 compression is when you WANT a knock
sensor.

> a new O2 sensor seems to have stopped it's wandering.  Now it'll idle
> fine for a little while, then get a bad signal and run way rich.  I'm
> basically stock right now other than the '91 jetta engine and the bottom
>
> of a 16v airbox.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Ben
> aka RoccoRacer
> '86 Scirocco 8v

The ECU problem your tech mentions might be caused by poor grounding, as
in poor or marginal signals. New O2 sounds good but there is more to
this.  If I understand you correctly you have a 91 Jetta long block
(block + head) and it's installed in a 1986 Scirocco. Where did the K/S
come from? Who did the work?

TBerk