Racin' a turbo'd 16v (kill stories)

Aiight. Well. You put me in the mood to post kill stories.

So we went to the street rice...er races last week.  Our "crew" from DSS
(local Mitsubishi speed shop) consisted of a slightly modded automagic
WRX wagon (low/mid 14s-ish), a very modded 91 Talon TSi (t3/t4, 720cc
injectors, more, more, more), and my turdbo 16v mk2.

We had a nice long stretch of four-lane highway to make use of.  On a
Thursday, no less.  You can see cars coming either way for hundreds of
yards, so worry was out of the question.

After a few random Honda vs. Honda races, my buddy Mike starts shouting,
"Who wants to race the scirocco? It's just a Volkswagen."  My car is
dirty as fuck on the stock wheels.  He tries a few more times, it looks
like no one wants to run me.  Finally some kid says "Sure, I'll run ya."
As I'm walking to my car I can hear his buddies going, "What's the
Scirocco have?" and my buddy Mike going "Ah...some stuff..." followed by
some chuckling.

So my first race was versus a non-descript CRX.  He has no idea what I
have, I have no idea what he has.  Both cars look almost bone stock.
When we get the go signal, I tear out of the hole at 1/2 throttle in
first.  Even with the Falken Azenis, the short gears (4K tranny) and
open diff don't meet up with Mr. Traction.  I rip through first, the CRX
is going.  I row hard into 2nd.  Same story.  The CRX still pulls.
Finally, getting into third gear results in hook and me making up a
carlength on the CRX.  I try for fourth and miss it, and yank it again.
Now I freight train him all the way to 110+.  Woot.  We race again on
the way back, I pull him really hard this time.  I find out when I get
back that the CRX has a b16a swap.

So the "head honcho" at the street rices drives a 260whp turbo civic
coupe on aired-down DRs.  My buddy decides to race him in his Talon.
They line up, you can see everyone get tense when my buddy hits the
stutterbox.  The cars get the go, my buddy dumps the clutch at 5000 RPM
and takes off like stink out of the hole (AWD ownage!).  The civic is
faster, but can't catch up by 110+ MPH so guess what, he loses!  Dude
was so pissed that he lost...he "never gets beat."  This happens two
more times, except the last time, a half shaft goes on the civic.  Fun
fun!

Joe Doty
IT/Development
joe@lcnetwork.com