Drive Flange Seals

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Erickson" <ranahan@charter.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 7:39 AM
Subject: Drive Flange Seals

> I got me a leak.  Damn, I hate leaks.
>
> How hard is it to change drive flange seals on an AGB?
>  Can I do it without removing the half shafts?

No/Yes
You have to revome the Inner CV joint, outer can stay...

you'll also need to make a tool to comress the drive flange spring...

              /// <----Threaded rod M10x1.25 x 6" ???
|||||          ///            ||||||
|||||          ///            ||||||

The rod threads into the differential shaft, the U presses against the drive
flange and by tightening the nut, it comrresses the spring. You then have to
remove the circlipon the diff shaft (hardest part of job), release the tool,
remove the flange, replace the seal, reinstall flange, new circlip (second
hardest part), and new cover plate.

I'm sure there's better tech proceedure out there, better pictures too...

Jason Adams
Fahrvergnugen Forever! ;)
84 rocco 16v
93 320i