Test Drive: 245hp Vanagon Sychro

Hey all!  Forgot to tell you that I went to Small Car Performance in Tacoma
(specialize in VW Performance) and the owner (good friend of mine, Brian
Steele) tossed the keys to his Vanagon that had been fitted with a SVX motor
(watercooled flat six 24valve dual overhead cam motor) and said that I
should take it for a drive (I helped on the swap but never got to drive the
final product).  I never got out of 3rd gear since I was in town but it
pulls like a 911!  Anyone who has driven a 911 understands that the torque
starts at 2000 rpm and goes to redline steadily increasing without a dip.
Once I got into the van, I tiptoed it to a straight clear street and floored
it.  I could have sworn that I lost traction at all 4 wheels and the whole
van seemed to rise about 6 inches as that beastly motor pushed the awd van
down the street.  Hit second gear and the exact same feeling just with a
huge difference in end result being a much greater speed!!  Shifted to 3rd
and just cruised.  It also will take very low RPMs without a problem which
seems amazing for the bulk of the vehicle and the displacement of the motor
(3.3L).  The motor had the type of torque you'd see in a V8 or a diesel, not
a 24v high rpm motor.  I was lucky enough to pull up next to a riced out
Honda on the way back to the shop.  I gave him a look and figured we were on
but he let me be.  I thoroughly enjoyed the ride as my wide-eyed giggly 3
year old speed demon boy next to me did also.  They took the van to the
strip recently and got high 14s with 16" wheels with street tires and a
taller 4th gear for the freeway (although I don't believe 4th was used at
the track).  When I got back to the shop and thanked him for the ride, he
looked out the front window in the shop and said "hey, there goes that Honda
I blow away everyday!".  As I turned my head to look, it was the one lined
up next to me a mile back!!  He said he LOVES to surprise the honduh boys
with it!

Dave

P.S.  If you need info on this or if you are contemplating this swap, they
have the kit at www.smallcar.com