Bilstein question

The "whole shock" consists of the thick vertical tube you see with a fron=
wheel off that has the brake line bracket welded on and the camber bolts..
The insert slides down inside the tube and there is a large almost
plumbing-type "nut" that you wrench down on the top of the tube to tighte=
the insert in to place.

The rear shocks just bolt right on without tubes or inserts.

The only reasons I can think of that you would want to get the complete
assembly is if yours was bent in an accident, the old insert is stuck
inside and can't be removed, or you just wanted a bilstein strut tube.

Personally, I have Bilsteins all around and I went with the inserts.
Changing them was a piece of cake once I got the right tool to get the bi=
"nut" off the top of the tube -- vice grips with a chain that you can gra=
a hold of stuff with (like an oil filter wrench but more heavy-duty).
Although I imagine a large pipe wrench might work.

HTH,

-Toby