New HU = Dead Battery

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, John Erickson wrote:

> I appear to have committed a fatal error with the
> installation of my new head unit.  I tied the =93Battery=94
> and =93Accessory=94 leads on the HU together and hooked them
> to a single always-hot power source in the car.  I let the
> car sit for a couple days and the battery is almost dead.
>  I guess I=92ll take the =93Accessory=94 lead and hook it to a
> switched 12v source.  We don=92t really have an =93Accessory=94
> position on the ignition switch, do we?  If so, is
> anything connected to it?

I dug up an ignition-switched terminal on my Rabbit when I first installed =
stereo (it had no stock wiring, and I'd never had a Volkswagen, so how was =
to know the Right Way to wire it? ;) on the fuse block, and the radio would
turn on and off with the ignition.  Personally, I vastly prefer
non-ignition-switched if it's at all an option.

It seems most radios have a way to work with cars that have no accessory
position.  I had a Panasonic that would go into a low-power "really off"
mode if the clock wasn't set, and a Sony that'd work the same way.  The
Pioneer I currently have in the Scirocco (a *mumblemumblesomethingorother*
440) also has that capability.

What sort of radio are we speaking of?

ian Butler / ian@hplx.net
'88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Syncro GL