wheel bearing going bad.

Left.

When turning right, you load the left bearing, hence
more noise.

When turning left, you unload the left bearing, less
noise.

Be warned, on my first Scirocco back in 1993, I had
the noise turning left and right. It turned out that
BOTH front wheel bearings were shot. Since then (2nd
and 3rd Sciroccos), I replaced both of them when I
start to hear front wheel bearing noise.

If you have them removed by a machine shop, keep the
old ones, and turn them by hand. You will notice how
they grind, even slightly, compared to new units.

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco Slegato