Common Sunroof Woes?

My biggest woe was a lot of the screws holding the rails to the body were
stripped.  I'm talking the swedged in nuts for the side rails, a few sheet
metal screws along the front center rail and one of the big screws near the
back of the side rails!  I still haven't replaced the sheet metal screws
with the next size up in an attempt to get metal with them.  For the screws
that go to the swedged in nuts, I pulled the headliner down enough so I
could install a big washer and nut underneath for the screw to thread into.
This required putting the headliner back in with the sunroof pieces in the
way, which SUCKED.
The biggest problem with sunroofs is that gunk builds up on the cables which
causes them to resist movement.  Eventually, they get stiff enough that you
strip them with the crank.  Replacing the cables involves removing the whole
shebang.  The new cables do not work well on the old rails for some reason.
I tried new cables on old rails outside of the car and there was a lot of
resistance to movement.  I would recommend using the new rails with the new
cables.
The cloth piece is obsolete.  You cannot buy a new one.  With the piece out
of the car, it is fairly easy to clean with any upolstery cleaner.  My big
Doh! of the job was noticing (as I reconnected the spring to the rear flap)
that the super-mega strong spring had nearly pulled its way through the
headliner piece.  If I had noticed this when I had that piece out of the
car, I could have easily drilled a new hole!  I still can drill a new hole
with it in the car, but I have to remove the roof panel.  When the spring
pulled the last little bit of the metal away the next day after I had
reassembled the sunroof, it pulled the fabric all askew.  So I will have to
reglue the fabric on the flap.

Whew, I didn't even write as much as I could have.  The sunroof is pretty
trinky.  I was majorly bummed to find so many buggered screws.  Some idiot
mechanic (probably at the VW dealer sadly) really screwed up my car by
stripping all those screws!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now!