Engine choices

> I have both a 1.8L 8V and a 1.8L 16V available in close proximty to me.
>    which one do I want????

Well, whatcha' puttin' it in?  easiest to put in what was originally in the
car; 8v into 8v car, etc.

> Whats the HP rating on the 8V?

Depends on the engine.  Not more than about 95hp.

 I imagine I could turbo it quite easily
> at a future date.

No non-turbo engine can be turbo'ed 'quite easily'.....they all take some
real effort.

>Could i put a 20V head on it?

Anything is possible, but it might not be financially feasible.
(sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but facts is facts)

The answer to your post is "how trick do you want to go and how much do you
wanna' spend?"
Larry