Smelly oil, causes?

I took my oil pan and oil pump off today to put in the
new pump I bought due to the low oil pressure I've
been seeing, around .5 bar at idle, and 1.5 bar at
highway speeds, and the high oil temps @150 Celsius.
When I dropped the pan the oil smelled pretty nasty,
kind of burnt smell, didn't look unusual from any
other oil change color wise, just smelled funny.
So, do you think that I cooked the stuff a little too
much? I have the standard mileage on the oil, around
3K. I didn't use anything unusual oil wise, Valvoline
20W-50 full synthetic. There was about 1/2 quart shy
of the 4 that was suppose to be there, this I
attribute to the crappy gasket on the pan, which I'm
replacing with a rubber one. Engine has around 160,000
miles on it. The engine has been running fine, no odd
smells,no strange noises, no smoke from the exhaust,
no loss of HP, just the high temps, oil @150, water
between LED and white high mark.

And as a side note are Schadek oil pumps worth a crap?
Because that's what I bought to save $50 off OEM.

Thanks,

=====
Jeff Lowe
Garland, Texas
'59 Euro Spec Beetle (Waiting it's turn for resto)
'64 Type-34 Karmann Ghia (Got parts?)
'86 Scirocco 16V
'98 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4