From: "Ryan H" <rhock99@epix.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 1:23 PM
Subject: Plaguing 16V problems... (Long, please help)

> I know this is a long post, but I'm desparate.  Please, ANY suggestions
are welcome and greatly appreciated...
> For the past several months, my '88 16V has been losing power erratically.
It happens after I've been driving it for over 30 minutes (not consistently,
but never under 30 minutes), although the engine doesn't have to be HOT for
it to happen (coolant gauge usually is dead center).
> What happens is the timing is being retarded.  I can tell because I can
actually feel it being pulled from me.  Then I have no power.  When I mean
no power, I mean not enough power to get to redline in first gear - serious.
Sometimes, though, I get my timing back right at 3000 rpm, but most of the
time the power is gone throughout the rev range.  No stuttering involved, so
it's not fuel starvation or plug wires.  Key info: If I shut the car off
then turn it back on, the problem goes away most of the time.  Also, If I
let it idle for a few minutes it goes away.  But once it has happened once,
it comes back very frequently, and I end up turning the car on and off at
nearly every other stoplight.
> Ok, I thought it was the knock box, since vacuum advance does its magic at
3000 rpm, it would explain my low power below 3000 rpm "mode".  Replaced it
to no avail.  Then I thought knock sensor.  Replaced it with a new one, and
it seemed to fix it for a bit (coincidental?), then it came back.  The car
has a full tune-up:  new plugs, wires, distrub & rotor, air filter, fuel
filter, exhaust, freq. oil changes, new timing belt, timed (except
intercam), etc.  Here are a few things I suspect and why:
> 1.) O2 sensor - there is no difference in the car with it plugged in or
unplugged - should this be?
> 2.) DPR - I can't test this, as I don't have the harness to do so - any
suggestions?
> 3.) Coolant temp. sensor - if this goes bad, would it make the engine
think it's running too hot and retard timing?
> 4.) Vacuum line - how can I check the knock box vacuum line for leaks?
Would any other lines cause this?