A/C restoration

What are the most common causes for failure of the 16V air conditioning
system?  I was going to tear mine out after it dumped a new, full charge of
R12 a few years back (don't tell Greenpeace), but I recently moved to
Jacksonville, FL and the heat and humidity during rush hour stop-n-go
traffic is unbearable.  So far, I've obtained a new condenser and a drier.
I was told by a somewhat trustworthy source that the condenser on Sciroccos
failed frequently and that's all that should need replacement. The dye test
did confirm my condeser was a culprit. Based on past history or experience
is there anything else I should replace or inspect? And is it worth
converting to R134a?  The thing used to frost my vents up using R12
(hopefully not with R12). I'll settle for just a few degrees cooler than
ambient.

Thanks.

Craig
alpine white 16v (mostly stock - very soon to be a major project car -
thinking alpine white Reiger with 2.0L maybe turbo)

P.S. Anyone on the list near Jax, FL?  I've yet to see another Scirocco
since I've been here. However, there's a plethora of rice burners just
waiting to get spanked.