VTec Motors, Was: Another honda race story, Victor is victorious. Yawn.

Actually, I've only noticed real "Smoke" one time from a VTEC equipped car, and it was an S2K (guess the guy fried it or seomthing). All other times it's just soot.

This means they have a heck of an enrichment system, from the looks. And it doesn't seem to be VTEC only Honda motors. My friend's 90 CRX Si (not a VTEC car, just a 1.6 SOHC) would cough up soot at full throttle.

G60's seems to do this too. Apparently my 16v did at times as well...

Joshua

Well, I just might know something about this...maybe it smokes because its a
honda, and punk ass kids drive them and Hot-Rod them all the time because
they think they're fast, and that magical Variable Valve Timing bullshit
doesn't like being taken to 8,500 RPM every time the kid thinks he has to
show off in front his highschool at lunch time. (speaking from local
observations here)

Actually, my cousin has a 98 Integra GSR with Vtec, his smokes every time it
goes past 4,500 RPM, but that is because he fried his piston rings when he
tried putting a 95 shot of NOS on it. (previously he had a 50, 60, 75, and
80 shot, but he ran it too many times on stock internals...Too bad too, he
was pulling low 14s with the 80 shot, and thats at 5,000 feet above sea
level.)

I think the Vtecs smoke because the Valve Timing actually changes at about
5,000 RPMs...So, when the person driving lets off the throttle aka shifting,
that timing has to change again... I figure there is a split second of
overlap there and a little too much gas might get into the combustion
chamber or something...

Speaking of Honda motors...if you ever get the chance, look at a block
without the head on it, so you can see the pistons....A really fucked up
design if you ask me.  They have these sleves that the piston sits in, and
then a .5 inch gap, and then the regular cylinder bore.

-Brando

BTW I might be all wet on my assumptions why the VTEC smokes, but it sounded
good to me.  I will do some checking on that.