TT short shift kit (long)

Well I actually accomoplished something on the Scirocco today.  After I
installed the header I purchased from S&S, I discovered it won't fit with
the sway bar.  No biggie.  Then after the first test drive I discovered that
it would'nt go into second and fourth.  Big problem.  Keep in mind this has
been goin on since Late May early June.  So today I actually got a chance to
get out of the house and go work on it.  This is when I discovered that the
Z shaped bar at the top of the linkage was hitting the header.  Thinking
maybe I can readjust the linkage to shorten the throw a bit that might work
but then the rest would'nt work right or dimple the tube.  Realizing that
the previos owner had installed a TT short shift kit, I moved the bar that
attaches to it and the trans to the middle of three holes, now it engages
properly but still rubs a bit.  I suppose my question is by moving it
outward did this lengthen the overall throw of the shifter or what hole
gives what reduction in shift ratio?  I can't really say for sure since I
had'nt really driven the car in about six or so months.  and even then it
was only up for about three weeks before that whole coil fiasco. Any help is
appreciated.

Erik
88 16V
88 Golf (Urban Insult Vehichle)