From: Rabbit16v [mailto:Rabbit16v@attbi.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 7:20 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: Re: How's the Dynomax muffler?

So would I, man, so would I!!  While I was managing the muffler shop we were
trained to tell the customers (when they came back upset that their muffler
didn't last as long as they thought it should) that the muffler had to
endure a few different things.  One was the exhaust turning to metal eating
acids once the car sat for a while (I didn't really agree with this one
although it makes some scientific sense), two was that if the car wasn't
driven on a regular basis that the moisture condensation rusted the muffler
prematurely, and the other was whether they lived close to the saltwater or
not.  Since a lot of the people that had muffler problems seemed to be of
the more mature group, then I sided with the inconsistant driving of the
vehicle being the biggest reason for failure.  Don't know for sure but since
I live in the NW (100% humidity 3/4s of the year) it could just be the
moisture!!  There could also be different levels of quality of mufflers that
shops get!  Pay more, get more, pay less, get less.  I've always believed
that buying quality, even if it cost a little more, was worth my time and
effort, I just love to find ways around that too!!

Dave