another allen wrench size

8 mm.

"Painless," he says.  Adjusting the belts is one of the
biggest PITA projects on the car.  You need to loosen four
bolts to tighten the compressor belt and when you are
done, you need to tighten the alternator belt.  If you are
replacing all the belts, start at the bottom (water pump,
power steering belt) and work your way up.  Alternator is
last.

I just did mine Sunday.  I replaced some pulleys
(Actually, I threw the idler pulley in the trash).  Good
luck.

John
87 16v
Long Beach

Nick Spitzer <nspitzer@mindspring.com>
|hey everyone-
|
|i'm wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of bolts
|are holding on the air
|compressor. not the tensioners, the actual bolt(s?)
|holding it on - looks like
|an 8mm or so allen, but it could be a torx...
|
|this is my first volkswagen, an 88 16v scirocco:
|http://nick.navcanceled.com/scirocco.jpg
|
|it's in great shape, rebuilt motor 10k ago, total of 110k
|on it. new brakes, suspension,
|water pump, radiator, techtonics/flowmaster exhaust,
|timing belt. the interior
|and pretty much everything is very clean. I'm very happy
|with the car, the gas mileage,
|and just the overall fun factor.
|
|I'm coming from a 1975 toyota land cruiser fj40, if that
|helps you understand at all:
|
|http://nick.navcanceled.com/moreland/dsc00020.jpg (yeah,
|about 8 mpg)
|
|anyway, the belts on the scirocco are squeaking enough to
|drive me INSANE. I've picked
|up new belts and briefly looked at the scenario - does
|anyone have any suggestions
|to make my first work on my scirocco relatively painless?
|:)
|
|okay okay, I lied, I already replaced the right c.v. axle
|(original one) last weekend.
|These inverted 12-point triple square bolts have my head
|spinning, that's for sure.
|
|It looks like a great community for these sciroccos,
|following a great car!
|
|thanks a bunch!

|-Nick