mk2 one-piece speedo cable "how-to"

This might apply to mk1's as well, I'm not sure..

I won a speedo cable from an '88 16v on eBay for $14-ish including
shipping. The 88's AFAIK did not come with the stupid oxygen sensor
warning light so their cables should (and do) fit earlier models,
eliminating the counter box in the process. When the cable arrived I wrote
down the part number - 533 957 803.

Both ends are the same as those of the cable that came with my car..
there's just no box in the middle. Overall its about 4" shorter, though.
Not sure why..

Installation was easy - I reached up under the dash and unclipped the
speedo cable from the back of the instrument cluster, lifted off the
coolant tank and removed the intake boot, then the 11mm head hex bolt
holding the speedo cable to the tranny. Lifted the gear end out carefully,
yanked the gear off the old cable and pushed it on the new cable hard
until it popped on all the way. Then I removed the grommet and pulled the
old cable through the firewall, disconnecting the OXS box electrical
connector.

Did the same in reverse for the new cable. The only thing I had to do was
route the new cable between/below one of the master cylinder brake lines
so there was enough length for it to reach the instrument cluster.

Easy, and since it was a brand new cable.. my speedo is smooth as silk
now! No jittering and bouncing around..

-Toby