EGR & charcoal canister stuff (needed?)

Vince Royer wrote:

<snip>
> Now for Scirocco content. (mandatory now I guess)
>
> Do our motors absolutely need all the crap that's hooked up to them?  I'm
> mostly talking about my 1.7 8V.  It has the super-basic CIS. No ox sensor
> either, Canadian car.  I understand that the fuel vapours have to go
> somewhere, but I mean... if you were building up a tube framed full race
> spec car, what would you do?  Would you have to keep all the evaporative
> emissions canisters and lines?  Or could you just vent it out?
>
> I must say I don't really know how it all works, so I can't decide if it
> would work without it.  What's the bare minimum you can run an 8V with?  I'm
> trying to get my engine compartment as simple as possible without going to
> carbs.  I want to hide all the wiring and loom it all up better.  My battery
> is already in the back so it looks much better already.
>
> Vince

Vince-O,

I can't help you specifically but am interested in the theory so I'm
'bumping' your email back to the list.

(I'm in California were they don't understand anything but "your motor
don't match the picture in my book" every two years.

I think the exhaust recirculation stuff is unlikely to to cause harm if
removed but you should keep in mind crankcase ventilation of some kind.

The other thing I can think of is the need for _some_ kind of vacuum
supply; brake booster, distributor advance, A/C type stuff, etc.

TBerk