From: Euroroc II [mailto:flaatr@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 1:37 PM
To: snowfish@attbi.com; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: scirocco heater controls

You have two separate problems here... the heat is controlled by a push /
pull cable that goes from the lower slider to a valve in the engine
compartment near the firewall and around the brake MC. there is a metal
clip that keeps the outside part of the cable that hold it in place and the
wire inside is connected to the control lever and to the valve lever,
respectively... if the clips are missing then the cable does nothing and
you are stuck at whatever position you left it at, in your case cold.  Look
for missing clips on the valve assembly and on the bottom HVAC control.

You can try to move the one on the valve by hand and you should get warm
air.

As for where the air comes from this is controlled by a vacuum switch and
vacuum solenoids... There are two 2 position valves and one 3 position
valve. If it is stuck in Defog then all the valves are at their default
position and that means the vacuum selector is not working... There are two
reasons the selector does not work... one is that it is bad and two is
there is no vacuum.

Diagnose the problem starting from the source. Look for a T fitting near
the fire wall on the passenger side with one hose leading to a check valve
(half blue and half black in line deal)... the other end of the valve
should go into on of the two spigots that come off the side of the fresh
air / recirculate flap thingy in the rain try under the rain cover. This
valve is notorious for plugging up... just remove the valve and reconnect
the hoses, you may need to temporarily use a longer hose. If everything
works then replace the valve. this valve just keeps the HVAC system
isolated from the rest of the engine vacuum so if you shut down the engine
your flaps stay where they once were... it is safe to drive without it.

If the vacuum check valve is working go to the vacuum switch on the HVAC
control. Set for fresh air or anything other than defog and start pinching
off the other hoses till you hear the flaps moving. This should help you
isolate which solenoid is leaking. The one that controls the fresh air
vents and defog is a 3 position valve, 2 hoses go too it and is easily
accessible thru the dash with the instrument cluster removed. there one in
the  recirculate /  fresh air thing and this is accessible from the rain
tray and there is a third on the right side of the center console located
below the 3 position valve.

Good luck

-RGK-