Cannonball Scirocco

This guy brought in some Car & Drivers to work, so I
look them over and come across an article on the
Cannon Ball Rally. This gets me to dreaming about what
you could do to a Scirocco to get it to run the
Cannonball. They seem like good candidates to me. They
can cruise at highspeeds all day and all night, or so
I've heard. Except for my 16V they have all been super
reliable cars. They also get good gas mileage compared
to the killer Camaros, Trans Ams, Porsches, pseudo
ambulances, trucks and all the other tricked up
vehicles speed freaks threw together to run the race.

My dream Cannonball Scirocco would be a 16V with extra
fuel capacity, a low restriction exhaust, mildly
sooped to get an extra 30hp and all the electronic
paraphenelia one might need to sniff out the bears.
Any other ideas?

Jorel