Adjustable Cam gear

I got my exhaust welded up today.  It's nice to not have anymore leaks.
Thanks to all that advised against go to a bigger exhaust system.  If it
doesn't rain this weekend, I'm going to put on a adjustable cam gear.  What
I'd like to do, is more the power band up in the RPM range.  Do I more it
to the + or the - ?  My thinking is that with the 4K, I spend allot of time
above 4,000, my gearing is pretty short on the bottom end and my new head
seems to breath pretty well on the top end of things.

Kervin
86 Scirocco 8v 2.0 p&p 4k+80% and lots of other numbers and letters
88 GTI 16v Still sitting and it's winter time now
00 tt600