high pitch whistle

my 87 8v has started to make a peculiar noise over the past several
days (since it got pretty cold out) here are the symptoms:

1)Only does it at idle, once up to ~1200 RPMs its stops
2)louder when the lights are on.

So, I'm wondering if this is either a)a belt issue, although the alt.
belt seems to be alright quality and tightness or b)an issue with the
alternator itself making funny noise. The alt. still produces ~14v
according to the volt gauge, which seems to be roughly correct, as it
is at 12 exactly when the engine is off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
LT
87 8v