From: <joshhignight@techography.net>
To: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 2:00 PM
Subject: Pinging or stuttering, best of two evils

> Ok. I haven't really been able to get any good help with this so far. But I
want to get the group in on this if possible.

> My engine has been plagued by pinging or stuttering issues since it began
running. If I can get the ping out, it runs like poo. If I can get it to run
even remotely good, it pings like there's a hundred angry diamondback's under
the hood.

> There's GOT to be a way to run this thing off of pump gas. I know my
compression can't be THAT crazy. The pistons are supposed to be for a 10.8:1 2L
block (they're JE). The head isn't decked or anything (it's still got 180K miles
on it).

> Of course I can play with the ignition as much as my heart desires, and I have
one of those fancy Autotech/Quaife adjustable cam gears (Thanks Peter!), so I
can change the cam timing at 1.5* intervals.

> Give me some ideas! I'll try anything. I'm buying 108 octane this afternoon
just to see what this motor can really put down to the street. But I would
prefer not to make this a requirement for my daily driver.