random hard start problem

You might check your residual fuel pressure (pressure when the car is shut down) as per Bentley.  There is a one-way check valve at the fuel pump.  It's duty is to keep fuel pressurized up to the injectors when you shut the car off to cool the fuel lines and prevent vapor lock.  If your fuel pressure doesn't hold a good pressure (my Bentley says 10 minutes @ 38 psi, but I have a 16v) this could be faulty.  I suppose it could be your fuel accumulator, too - the 5 minute wait is needed to allow the lines to cool.
My $0.02.