Tuning amp/sub/tube (was RE: Re: Speaker opinions...)

Okay, I think I figured things out, just want to run this by you folks...

Found the booklet for my KW sub. KW suggests 1 cu.ft. for sealed, and 1.1 cu.ft. for ported enclosures. Port size of 3"x5" for 1.1 cu.ft. enclosures.

Also did some math and came up with ~.9 cu.ft. for volume in the tube I have. Also that the port size is about 3"x10.5"!!!

Now, does port length tuning change when thinking about a "box" vs. a tube?

My thinking; either cut down the port to about 6" or so, checking sound quality and such. At same time, cram something in the port and check sound quality there (virtual sealed enclosure ala Allyn).

Opinions? Suggestions?

Joshua

P.S. How much good would removing the backseat do to improve sound? Been thinking about this as it is anyway...