Mk1 Electrical: crazy turn signal relay!

I've been reinstalling the body/interior electrical bits on the '77
Scirocco, and I've got pretty much everything (important) working. Though I
don't know exactly when the car was parked, these parts probably haven't
seen current for at least five (and maybe ten) years! Haven't started a fire
yet...

I have one wierd issue however. When I turn the ignition on, the turn signal
relay starts clicking double-time. It's the same pattern as if there was a
turn signal bulb out. However, it only does this when you are NOT using the
turn signals. All the turn signal bulbs are OK, and the turn
signals/emergency flashers work great. When you turn the signals/flashers
on, the relay clicks at it's normal beat. Then, when you turn them off, it
clicks double-time again! It shuts off completely with the ignition.

Anyone ever seen this behavior before? I've been dissecting the Bentley
wiring diagrams and playing with various connectors involved in the process
with no luck.

TIA!
Neal