Tuning amp/sub/tube (was RE: Re: Speaker opinions...)

Okey-dokey...

I know what both of you are saying. I had a sealed box with dual=
 (cheap-o) 10"s that was tuned for those speakers in my 1980 AMC=
 Spirit that thumped that sorry thing to kingdom come and back!=
 Tight, clear, hard hitting bass notes that left everyone=
 wondering where the hoopty was when I rolled by in the=
 baby-blue-skater-mobile.

The tube in the roc is a Rockford 10" composite tube with some=
 cheap looking foam slab shoved inside. I pulled out the blown=
 (cheap) rockford sub and installed that Kenwood 10". The port is=
 in the rear, and is really long going into the tube. I assume=
 tubes work better ported, and I am starting to think that the=
 reason the bass hits nasty is more due to the port being not=
 tuned to the Kenwood sub. Now, where in the world do I find out=
 how to properly tune this tube for my sub given that I find the=
 specs for it? And, is it possible to seal the tube so that the=
 Kenwood is working in a sealed environment (which is where it is=
 supposed to be happiest according to KW), even though it is a=
 tube and was originally made to be ported? Can I just pack=
 something dense (dense foam?) into the back of the tube once=
 it's sealed until I wind up with the correct volume for the sub=
 when in a sealed enclosure? What shoudl I use?

Obviously, lots of questions, not a lot of money ;)

Joshua

There are a sequence of equatons to determine volume and/or size=
 of the port. You need specs for the speaker.
John