Nitrous Quesitons

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 01:59:30 EST WaspHwy@aol.com writes:
> this is semi -technical:
>
> I have a nitrous plate for my 8v. it is tapped for a NOS fogger
> nozzle, which
> is installed. problem is whoever tapped it didnt use the NOS tap,
> which has a
> weird pitch to it.

is this tapped directly into the manifold or where?

> so the threads in the plate and on the nozzle are
> kinda
> fucked. BUT... it does screw in tight, and points the right
> direction. just
> to be safe, I wrapped it in teflon (the threads...) so, the question
> is, is this safe to use?

Teflon tape's mission is for lubricating threads. Some would say it
doesnt seal but it does that too on some applications. Its job is not to
hold a seal and depending on how your thread combinations differ, could
hold a seal forever. The only drawback is, it could lead to a vacume leak
scenerio. This isnt a detrimental problem.

The only real solution is to tap with the proper size (IE replace
manifold if thats where its at) and you should be fine. I think if you
dont do anything at this point you are ok too. Just check for leaks. (Use
a can of carb cleaner and spray around the base of the nozzle with it
running. Listen for idle changes. if none, you've got no leak.)

Then drive it a little and recheck that the nozzle isnt comming out. It
might feel tight now but after a few hours of driving around the
vibrations could work it loose.

GL!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS- #30  2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
Scirocco" 84' Scirocco 8V 82' Scirocco RIP 80' Scirocco S 79' "Project
FSP
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com