snow tires

--=======6F3B525=======

At 09:56 PM 11/12/02 -0500, NarcolepticFlea@aol.com wrote:

>My teardrops are in exceptionally sad shape, so they'll be my winter
>beaters. Eyeing Borbet Type H's or the BBS 3 spokes, it's a ways off
>though. My main concern with studs is the drive from NY to CO. I'll be
>experiencing everything from the slushy, salty crap of here, to mid-US
>snow on through and I wasn't sure if they would be the best to drive long
>distance on a variety of conditions. I remember driving my dad's ford
>escort with studs on wet, slushy pavement and it was crazy fun spinning
>the tires at will, but now, that's not quite what I'm going for.
>
>Dan

Sounds like those tires had a lot of studs in them.  You don't need many
for traction, and they won't affect performance very much then.  The ones
on my truck don't hurt my handling on dry pavement hardly at all.  And the
difference I'm feeling could be from could just be from the change from
31X10.5's on 15X8 wheels to 235/75's on 15X7 wheels(noticeably
narrower).  My wheels have a zig-zag of sorts pattern out the outer edges
of the tire with some random one across the center every so often. So if
you get studs talk to the tire shop about your concerns and they should
have something to suit your needs.  Now that I think of it my wife's R/T
(studded too) handles decently also.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'92 Polaris Indy Deluxe