[clearcoat or no?]

treed2@u.washington.edu wrote:
Hey,

This might sound like a dumb question but I have no experience with
painting cars (other than rattle canning the truck bed of my first vehicl=
in a useless attempt to stop the rust)..

How do I find out whether or not my car has a clear coat layer? I have an=

'87 16v with factory flash silver... did all mkii's have clear from the
factory or ..?

Is there an option code on the trunk sticker or something like that or is=

there an obvious, easy way of telling just by looking at the paint?

I'm just curious about this.. thanks

-Toby

Dunno about flash silver, but my '87 16V "Arctic Blue Metallic" (silver w=
ith a
turquoise hue to it) was factory clear coated. It showed up as the only
warrantee work ever done on the car, and explained why it had been repain=
ted
even though the body was in good shape. It had peeled I guess. Anyway, we=

didn't get flash silver 16Vs up here AFAIK, but I'd expect all of the sil=
vers
would have clear coat if one type did.