snow tires

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:33:31PM -0500, NarcolepticFlea@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 11/11/2002 4:23:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, brian_wagner@sbcglobal.net writes:
>
> > If you are moving to the front range of Colorado and not in the
> > hills, then just get good M&S rated tires and a set of cable chains. I
> > lived in the Denver area for years and I never had a use for studded
> > tires, but had the occasional use of
> > the chains. my .02
> >

> I'm actually moving to Steamboat Springs. I was thinking I might want
> to get a set of chains, at least for when I go over the Rockies but I've
> never used them before and have no idea about them.

Chains are awesome, when the conditions demand.  Cheap, too... you should
be able to pick up the ladder-style cable chains for 20-30 bucks at any
wal-mart in mountain/snow country.  The Z-type cable chains ride a lot
smoother, and cost 50-60 at an auto parts place or tire store.

DO NOT go much faster than 35 or 40 with them on.  DO stop and re-tighten
them after the first 1/4 mile or so.  Do NOT use link type chains on a
scirocco, not enough fender clearance.  I run a pair of cable chains on
205/50-15's with no clearance problems.  Make sure to fasten the loose
ends of the cable with the clips they give you, or you'll beat up your
fenders.

Course, this year I have a 4X4 Suburban for my ski trips, so no more
beating up the 'rocco.

Dan

--
If Pac Man had affected our childhood development,  we'd be running around
in dark rooms, munching little white pills and listening to electronic music.