Polishing

--0-1026668687-1037007130=:8242

So I pulled out an upper intake and tried polishing part of it.  Got down to 300 grit pretty quickly, then tried a polishing wheel with a red bar of compound.  I tried that for quite a while and it didn't do a thing (though the guy selling the bars and stuff said that's the one to use for aluminum).  I'm beginning to think he sold me a giant red crayon.

How do you guys get a near mirror finish on your manifolds and such? How fine a grit do you use to sand?  Do you use polishing compound to finish it up?   Somebody clue me in, please!

Brian