rocco 16v - erratic idle

New plugs/wires might be a good start.  Also, clean out the idle air stabilizer with some carb cleaner.  If you can, check the mixture - an overly rich mixture made my car's idle nasty.  Search for any vacuum leaks.  Finally, the O2 sensor seems to be suspect in some peoples' idle problems.  It could be a million other things, too, but these seem to be the most common causes.