Top speed

At 11:03 PM 11/6/2002, Captnbr@aol.com wrote:
>Here something else to throw on the fire.  Some cars will only reach there
>top speed in 4th gear and not in 5th.  Why you ask.  Say your at our
>famous "140mph" and your in 4th gear and in this gear you are at your peak
>hp for the engine. Now say you shift into 5th, now you are somewhat below
>your peak HP, and you don't have enough HP to overcome the drag, and you
>slow down.  Drop it back down to 4th and you will speed up.  Heh Heh Heh....

It does happen.... though not often.

It happens, however, all the time in cars with 6sp transmissions.  The mfr
selects the 5th gear ratio to maximize top speed, then puts a longer ratio
in for quieter, more fuel-efficient and relaxed cruising in 6th.

This is the real benefit IMO of 6-speeds.  I don't really see much of a
benefit to having a 6sp that reaches top speed in 6th -- unless you're
talking about cars that are ridiculously fast.

Brian, you have an A3 VR6 -- you should know.  The VR6 is a prime candidate
for a long 6th gear.  There is no reason in hell that motor needs to be
spinning at 3000rpm to cruise at 70mph.  It's done for top speed, of
course... but it would be a great highway cruiser, and get a hell of a lot
better gas mileage at 2200, or 2500rpm.  I would love to put a 6sp in my
VR6 for that reason alone...

Jason