Shift Rod Seal

John,

I just did this when I had my tranny out. I couldn't find any info on it
really other than what was in the bentley, so that's why I'm responding.

First step is to remove the selector shaft lever (one 13mm? nut - you're
supposed to mark what spline it was on but I think I forgot to and it
didn't matter)..
Then to the hard part -- getting the selector shaft cover off (its the
thin metal cap that is on the opposite side of the tranny as where the
selector shaft protrudes from. It's underneath that little clutch
cable bracket You need a 27mm (?) allen wrench. I didn't have one and
couldn't find any 27mm bolts. I suppose I could have ground down an
enormous SAE bolt of similar size to fit.. but I was in a hurry. I managed
to get some groovy "whale-jaw" vice grips to bite it just enough to twist
it loose. I think I got lucky, though.. it didn't seem like it was going
to come off for anybody.

Be really careful with the cap so you don't bend or distort it, or poke
any holes in it (they'll seep gear oil later if you do). Don't
over-tighten it when re-installing it either (duh).

Anyway, then IIRC you take off the reverse light switch and the stray bolt
above the selector shaft - these items retain the selector shaft in the
housing. Unscrew the cap you just loosened all the way and remove the
selector shaft. There's a spring behind it but its nothing to be afraid
of (unlike the 200 lb springs behind the drive flanges..I'm very lucky
that my face is still attached). Then pry the seal out with a screwdriver
- normally I would tap in one side and pry out on the other but you can't
tap this one because there's solid metal behind it. Grease up the new
seal and tap it in gently. Assembly is the reverse of removal.

This is also a good chance to take a peek at the innards of the upper half
of your tranny through the hole. Not that you can see a whole lot.. but
its neat nonetheless..

I'd say the job is probably the easiest of all the tranny seals... much
easier than the mainshaft/pushrod or drive flange seals (unless the tranny
is already out.. then the mainshaft/pushrod is easier - the drive flange
seals are the worst no matter what)

Hope this helps..

-Toby