sticker on my old 1.8 block

Hey all,

I just remembered this - when I pulled out what I assumed to have been my
original 135,000 mile 1.8 16v to put in the 2.0, I wiped away the
layer of grease and muck caked all over the front of the block.. Next
to the crankcase breather unit that bolts on there, I found a yellow
sticker that read:

EXCHANGE
PIECE REMISE A NEUF
Part No.	027 100 003 HX
No de piece

May be used for engine code:
Peut etre employee pour les moteurs code PL

Does this mean I had an exchanged (remanufactured?) engine? (or
perhaps just the block)
I have no mention of this in any of the car's records (granted, they're
not very good.. the "dealer service records" in the owner's packet is
all I have and they only go to 60,000 miles or so)

Or does a sticker like this come on every 1.8 16v block?

Thoughts?

-Toby