strut ?

What I use to do was carefully clamp the housing in a vice so it won't turn,
then use either the correct size wrench (if it is the hex style) or use a
pipe wrench.  I have used the monster channel locks before and that worked
too.  I don't know what you have been working on but I never had to cut any
of them off!!

Dave

P.S.  I bet Delong has about 30 laying around his tool box!!