kinda OT: do you lose gas shutting the car off for less than 2 mins?

One more thing to add to this.  When the engine starts, there is no oil
pressure.  The oil pressure is what turns your cam and crank bearings into
fluid bearings instead of just metal-to-metal contacts.  This is the source
of the saying that most of the wear on an engine occurs at startup.  I've
been wondering how the hybrids handle this.  Does anyone know?  An electric
oil pump would solve the problem nicely, but maybe they just don't bother in
the name of efficiency.

As for dumping fuel on starting, the reason hybrids aren't bothered by this
(I'm assuming and guessing here) is probably that their "starters" are huge
electric motors that can get the engine well up into their operating range
before letting them run on their own.  If your starter could turn your
engine over 1000rpm you probably wouldn't need extra fuel.

BH