Getting Creative...

I've been thinking about this (another Cheapass brainflash).

Ron Woods bar is possibly non SCCS SP legal.  Some care, some don't.
It's also akin to vaporware at this point, save KC's car. (AFAIK)

BSI's bar is expensive, and some have questioned what would happpen to
teh firewall.  I gather it's SP legal.

My thought is to fab a sheetmetal bracket and bolt it between the
tranny mount and the body.  A separate sheetmetal piece would bolt to
the tranny.  The two would interlock in a sliding fashion...no
constraint until the engine/tranny assy. saw some serious torque, and
then the two pieces would 'catch' and prevent further engine/tranny
motion, thus saving our crossmembers.

AFAIK, it'd be SP legal since it's not affecting a motor mount (just
using the mounts attachment points), it's not welded, it constrains in
one axis only.  And it's bound to be cheaper, and in my dreamy state
it's a clean, unobtrusive install.  Just needs to be brained on some,
then drawn up.  Thoughts?

Ron

--- Jeff Toomasson <jtoomasson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Josh - I'm glad you brought it up. I was looking to get this bar
> specifically for my future 1.8t conversion (obviously not totally
> understanding whether it would work).
>
> You are keeping track of what you're having to do, right?  RIGHT!?
> :)

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.