Fuel injector tip came off

On 5/28/02 11:57 PM, "Greg Davis - DriversFound.com" <scirocco@iglou.com>
wrote:

> When pulling the fuel injectors in my '85, the metal "tip" of one came off.
> It's still in the head/insert.
>
> The one on the right:
> <http://www.driversfound.com/temp/injector.jpg>
>
> Any way to salvage the injector?  Or is it time to go shopping?

The injector is fine, what came off is the "cap" for the air shrouding.
Unfortunately a common occurrence. The only pain is in trying to retrieve it
with the least ammount of effort.

 Most likely it's still sitting in the insert, use one of those magnetic
pick-ups or "claws" to try to fish it out. If that don't work, try -gently-
removing the insert. It has plastic parts and may crack. I believe it's a
12mm internal hex. You'll need a new O-ring for the insert, so be prepared
with a new one. If the injector tip fell into the head, then you may need to
remove the intake manifold to get access to it.

Worst case you'll need to pull the head to get it out. It usually doesn't
come to that, unless it fell into the combustion chamber, and you cant
access it through the spark plug hole.

Good luck,
Jonas