re-upholstering seats

--- Ryan Ruggles <ryanruggles@uniserve.com> wrote:
> Has anyone re upholstered their front seats in their Scirocco before?
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) How do you take the seats out of their tracks?  Mine are jammed...

Others have answered this well.  Just clean the tracks before
re-installation and don't use lithium grease.  That stuff hardens into
glue over time.

> 2) How do you take the upholstry off the seat frames?

Once you separate the back from the bottom, just use dikes to snip the
hog rings.  On the bottom of the seatback, you have to straighten six
or so sheetmetal "shark teeth" to release the upholstery via the wire.
You'll see what I mean.

The back can be a PITA near the headrest.  My advise is to try to leave
the plastic headrest "leg" receptacles in place, and work the
upholstery off over them.  same for the new...cut the holes for these
*after* you have the cover slipped on.

> 3) are the cloth parts of the seats inserts or are they attached to
> the vinyl?

IIRC, the back cloth is attached, the bottom cloth is separate.  16V
seats anyway.

> ANy suggestions that might help would be appreciated.  It's freshly
> painted and the torn seats totally take away from it's beauty.....You
> guys know what I'm takin' bout

When you slip the new cover on the back, get a source of heat.  I tried
a hair dryer and found it wimpy, so I fired up my kerosene torpedo
heater and worked about 4' from it.  WOW.  Covers became very workable
very fast.  You'll know if you get too close because you'll melt the
upholstery, your arm hair will burn off, and your watch will bond to
your arm.

I used tie-wraps on the install instead of hog rings.

Be careful removing the wires that attach the upholstery, you can rip
the wires right out of the foam.

Don't forget that passenger side seats are fine sources of replacement
foam and panels! (for a driver's side seat).

HTH,

Ron

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor" '87 16V Scirocco
"Teufelhasen" '93 Cabby <-For sale

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.