What's the better lower stress bar?

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 01:49:20PM -0400, Allyn wrote:

> all of this truss talk, lets get down to whats really going on here. the
> rear bar of that 4-point bar is doing effectively nothing. the rear beam is
> reinforcing a huge cross member thats already in place (no use). if this is
> the 4 point bar im thinking about, there is only a single diagonal beam and
> no fore/aft beams.

Nope, that's the Autotech stress bar, with a single diagonal brace.  The
Eurosport one had dual diagonal braces, shaped like an X..  I agree that
the rear bar does nothing other than act as a mounting point for the
diagonal braces, and that while a single diagonal is sufficent to create a
rigid truss, it does to at the expense of creating unbalanced force at the
front A-arms.

Some pics for those who wonder what we all are babeling about:

Neuspeed front stress bar:

http://www.parts4vws.com/images/parts/451001.jpg

Techtonics/stock 16v front stress bar:

(er, TT's site is down. check later at www.tttuning.com )

Eurosport front subframe:

http://www.parts4vws.com/images/parts/18035.gif

Autotech front subframe:

http://www.autotech.com/subframe72.jpg

Dan

--
My own personal theory is that God is like I am when I'm playing Civ
II...sure, it really helps my score when I have peaceful civilizations,

		-- Jacob Sherwood - {God is bored.}