[Tech] 16V Pressure Plate Q's - looking for a strong pressure plate for my '79 16V Scirocco

-----Original Message-----
From: Neal Tovsen [mailto:nealtovsen@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 3:35 PM
To: Peter; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: [Tech] 16V Pressure Plate Q's - looking for a strong
pressure plate for my '79 16V Scirocco

I've always heard that the OEM 2.0L 16v pressure plate
is as good as anything out there. While I'm running a
different clutch, I'll have the Sachs PP on my G60...

Neal

Hey Neal,

Yeah, I remember hearing that too.
Something about heavier or more straps...

I heard that the 2.0L 16V Sachs replacement pressure plate, is the same
as the 1.8L 16V.

Which Sachs clutch are you going to use?
The stock Sachs clutch kit, or the Sachs PowerClutch?

Thanks man!

Peter

--- Peter <peter@thescirocco.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a strong pressure plate for my '79
> 16V Scirocco...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> What kind of clutch are you guys running?
>
> I just got the 4K out of the '79, and when I
> unbolted the flywheel, the
> pressure plate surface ring slid down and was
> hanging from ONE strap.
>
> There's was 3 straps to start, but one was
> completely missing, and half
> of the one strap was left. Since I have a lightened
> flywheel, the broken
> strap wore a groove in the bellhousing.
>
> I didn't see any metal parts, just a bunch of
> iron/aluminum filings.
>
> I compared the metal strap to an older 8V clutch
> pressure plate, and the
> Sachs Clutch kit straps are half the thickness.
>
> I'm tempted to use it, since it still has the
> machining grooves...
>
> Any help will be appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Peter