OT: A2 Jetta question

I have a friend with a 91 Jetta GL 5spd.  There are a
couple of problems I found out about it yesterday at
the party I was at where I got see what the problems
were.  One problem is that the radiator is spilling on
the spark plugs and she said the car was running hot
when she came..  Is a new radiator needed then?  Also
the shifter Reverse lockout doesn't work, but she said
she was used to it and first and reverse are close to
each other..  Is that in need of new bushings?  Are
the bushings different from A1's?
I also got to drive it and it feels a lot different
than my Scirocco where it sits a lot higher than the
Rocco and shifter is closer to me.  The body was
completely straight and had a custom moonroof and
rims.  Mechanically it seems a lot worse than my Rocco

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco
1987 White Quantum wagon