Coil/ignition problem?

When my 16v turns over it does not "fire".   I know about the basic coil to
ground spark test and it definately sparks (bluish silver) but.... The spark
comes out only as I turn the key to "ON" (don't know if that is normal)  and
does not spark when it is cranking.  Have never done this test B4 so not
sure what exactly I should see at each of those stages.
Not only that, if the fuel pump is still in its 2 second spool up that it
does imed after I stop cranking, the coil wire will spark agan when I turn
the key to "OFF" but this time a very hearty looking yellowish color.
But if I quit cranking and leave the key in "ON" pos. for a few seconds for
the fuel pump to catch up...then stop.  Then if I turn the key to "OFF", no
spark.
BTW I pulled the injectors and they are wet with fuel so its not starved for
gas.  AFAIK

This is the first time I have gotten this project to turn over with a fresh
battery and the muffled sound of the Borla muffler's "wump, wump, wump"
sounds good to me allready.  It's as if it is tormenting me, like the sirens
did to Jason in the Odessey.

-so close....

Thanks as usual for any help here

Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
Electrical  : (
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"