I need 12mm threaded rod or long bolts.....

--=======15464523=======

At 03:32 PM 5/24/02 -0400, Erik LaCelle wrote:

>If I understand what you're trying to do, the tool would bolt into the
>wheel bolt holes and then nuts would be turned down the length of the
>bolts driving some device against the old bearing.  Am I right?
>
>Erik L

Sort of.  You turn two bolts/threaded rod etc into the lug bolts holes,
driving against the bearing housing until the hub is out.  Then you can
use a puller on the bearing(once the circlips are removed).  Saw a guy
in a VW shop in S.D. do it once(ten years ago).  The bearing puller part is
basically a larger diameter threaded rod(SAE sizes are fine) some
nuts(preferably
on welded on one end) and various sizes of heavy washers or discs cut from
steel
plate to pull the bearing out into a receiving cup(also easily made).  The
rod and
wahsers/discs then press the new bearing in followed by the hub.  Now if your
bearing has been bad for a while this may not work and a real hydraulic press
may be the only tool to do the job.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.