I need 12mm threaded rod or long bolts.....

I know you can buy metric threaded rod (question is can you get it hard
enough to handle repeated pulling use?)  If you were really desparate a
machine shop would make some up for you - if they had a die it shouldn't
cost that much.

I'm trying to remember if Diesel head bolts are 12X1.5 or 12X1.75 - I seem
to recall they're 12X1.75 for some reason.  Drag is they're just shy of 5"
long IIRC.  Other downside is that they're stretch bolts, which means once
they've been used once, they're not quite as strong, and they just keep
getting weaker - not the best for a puller if you need lots of pressure.
On the plus side, a lot of the older style are threaded right to the top,
and they have anice big hardened washer with them as well.

Good luck,

Drew

On Fri, 24 May 2002, John C. Worden wrote:

> This is Scirocco related.  I am looking for 12mm 1.5 pitch threaded rod or
> fully threaded bolts(2)
> about 6" long or so.  I can go a bit shorter.  I haven't had any luck
> locally or looking online.
> Anyone ever looked for this stuff and found it?
> For those that are curious, I need this/these for hub removal for my home
> built, on car, front
> wheel bearing press tool.  12mm 1.5 pitch is the size of the lug
> bolts.  How about you guys
> that were looking at converting your cars over to stud mounts; did you find
> studs and how long
> were they, and where can they be bought?
> Right now I have 2 bolts, partially threaded, that I will try to thread
> full length.  This may work,
> but I don't think it would hold up for the long haul.
> Thanks
>

> John C. Worden
> Bucksport, Maine
>
> '98 Dakota 4x4-
> '86 Scirocco 8V-
> '81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
> '78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel